It’s the most wonderful time of the year – there’s a slight hint of fall in the air, pumpkin everything is hitting the shelves and school is back in session. I’m always so pumped when September hits because it acts as a refresh button for me, even more so than January. I know most of my American friends have already started school but this is the first week of school for many of us Canadians. I say ‘us’ like I’m going back to school – I wish! Was I the only one who was so excited that I had my back to school lists prepped by mid August and a few new outfits picked out for the first day? I think in another life I would be an excellent teacher. The organizing and list making and crafting would, ugh, just be a dream. Anyways, even though I’ve been out of uni for a few years now, I’ve compiled a few essentials that will make your first few days of school that much better.
I was never one to wear sweatpants to class. I just wasn’t. Nothing against those of you who do, I just felt more productive if I dressed up a bit (my friends constantly asked me why). My go to for class was denim, a comfy top and a blazer. Ahem, *loose blazer. Add a pair of sneakers or low, casual mules, and what the do you get? The perfect balance between comfy and put together, and the best outfit for those long days of classes, group projects and coffee breaks. This little velvet number from Zara did just the trick, I paired it with a casual tee and some black cutoff denim. Other go to items include knit seaters, chunky cardigans and comfy tanks + tees.
When I was in school, luxury makeup was usually out of reach for me. Even though I was working, I’d have to save for makeup from Sephora, which although amazing, wasn’t always the most practical financial decision. A brand that I wish I knew about back in school is Quo, super affordable and amazing quality! This new ‘back to school’ line is just adorable isn’t it? The eyeshadow palettes are little notebooks! Not to mention they have brushes, lipsticks, glosses, eyeliner and highlighters – basically all the makeup you need for the new semester at Shopper’s Drug Mart.
So now for the actual tools you’ll be using in class. Here’s everything I used to be a more productive student + what kept me sane during the fall semester:
- Agenda/iCal – write down everything. Birthdays, due dates, holidays, exams, group activites, club meetings. Even if you think you’ll remember it, school can get overwhelming quick and if you write it down, you’ll thank me later.
- Notebook – This is included because I like to write down blog post ideas on paper instead of my phone. But the premise is the same – writing down ideas for projects, assignments, essays and having all your notes in one place will keep you highly organized.
- Laptop – bring it to take notes in class, do work on your breaks and keep you entertained when you just need a 5 minute breather.
- iPad – see #3. I use my iPad when I want the functionality of a computer but don’t necessarily want to take out my laptop. It’s also great for downloading PDFs or online textbooks.
- Wunderlist – I didn’t use this in school, but man, does it ever make thing so. much. easier. You can use it for to-do lists, reminders, errands – just about anything. I like to use this app for my to-do lists, after you finish a task, you check it off and it’s done. Plus you can add other contributors for group projects and everyone has access to the list.
And there you have it, everything you need to kill it this semester. I hope you all have a great first week back at school, enjoy planning out all your classes and writing all the important dates in your agenda!